Saturday, January 31, 2015

Chambar Restaurant (DOVF Stop #3)

0

Looks like my life only consists of school and food these days, I'm either at school, out eating, or studying at cafes.... Since Dine out is over, I'm sort of on a mini diet, so I won't be visiting a lot of restaurants, only occasionally with my parents or healthy ones. Meanwhile, I can start writing all those reviews that I haven't had time to work on.

On the second last day (Saturday too .__.) of this year's dine out fest, my friend and I called at least 10 restaurants but we failed to make any reservations... damn, It's true that every story starts with a reservation! or else you would have a hard time getting a table during dine out season... I've learned my lesson.. Fortunately, We eventually got a spot at Chambar, but tables are only available after 9:00pm. Oh well, better than nothing! We studied untill 8:40pm and headed straight to Chambar.





When we arrived, my friend and I immediately regretted not going home and change to a some what formal attire. I think people were giving us the awkward look since we were carrying heavy backpacks with textbooks...We both felt out of place.. Haha, this should give you an idea of the restaurant vibe. The atmosphere was lively and busy. Not the elegant type of fine dining, but more of a pub-like environment.

Since it was past 9pm when we seated. we decided to share one menu. ($38)

This Year's Dine Out Menu



I started off with a Lavendar Fizz (Mocktail $5.00 4.5/5)

Very refreshing from the sweet and sour taste with a hint of lavender flavour. Although the serving was kind of small, it was still a nice drink to start off with.



For appetizer, we got the COQUILLES ST. JACQUES A LA ‘BOB’ (5/5)
-Pan seared scallops, mint pea puree, tandoori papadum, pickled grapes.

Completely shocked by how tender the scallops were (not rubbery at all), perfectly cooked and paired nicely with the side ingredients, I could alone eat at least 10 of them.



For entree, we went for the CURRY D’OMBLE DE L’ARCTIQUE (4.5/5)
-Roasted arctic char, parsnip & miso curry, kale, sorrel, fresh pomegranate, pine nuts.

If you follow my blogposts or Instagram, you would know that I'm not a big fan of seafood, I was originally going to order the trio de porc, but my friend really wanted to try this dish, so I agreed.
The surface was crispy. and the Arctic char was once again, prepared and cooked perfectly. The miso curry was light but unique, combined well with the char. The nuts and pomegranates added an interesting taste to it, however I didn't like the veggies.


Lastly, dessert!

We were actually sick of cheesecake, and the other selection was cheese and crackers, so LA BARRE DE CHOCOLATE (3.5/5) was our only choice.
-Hazelnut praline chocolate mousse bar, sherry vinegar, burnt cinnamon milk foam. 

The chocolate was not overly sweet, but it didn't taste special to me. It was just a normal chocolate bar stuffed with some sourly fruity mousse and sided with whip cream. Good, but not good enough for a $38 menu dessert. 

Overall Experience:

My favourite type of fine dining, I don't need to be overly cautious with what I do. Very Satisfied, although the portions were minimal, but their appetizers and entrees blew my mind. Even if they are famous for mussels, their other dishes are still phenomenal. Everyone that visited also got a $10 coupon to use before 3pm everyday. I'm definitely going back to get some eggs benny and waffles. Sunday Brunch anyone?


Chambar on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment