Sunday, February 8, 2015

Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House

4

My parents asked me to to choose a fine dining restaurant prior to their 20th anniversary, and I really didn't know where to go. I know ... one of those foodie fail moments, but it was an important event so I didn't want to mess things up. Thankfully, my foodie friend Michael suggested us to go to Joe Fortes! and apparently if you live in Vancouver, you have to go to JF at least once since it's such a classic restaurant in town.



With high hopes, we arrived at Joe Fortes, and were instantly amazed by the restaurant vibe. A fine dining restaurant/cafe can't just make good food, if the atmosphere feels weird, then it's a major fail for them! In terms of Joe Fortes, the environment is still busy and lively, some what like Chambar's, but with an elegant feel to it. Loved the live piano by the way!



We were seated at a classy and some what isolated area with nice vintage decors and wine filled wall! (too cute!) It was the perfect area to celebrate an anniversary! and guess what appeared when we opened our menu?











When I made my reservation online, I told them that it's for my parents' anniversary, so they printed out our special menu! Such a simple yet sweet thing they did to enhance our dining experience!! (and good marketing strategy too!)









First off, We decided to order some appetizers to share!
*Forgot to take a photo of our complimentary bread, it was typical. The lobster oil + balsamic vinegar tasted quite unique though.




Fresh Oysters,  Left we had Gem from Read Island, ($2.60/each 3.5/5) and right, Kusshi from Baynes Sound ($3.60 3.5/5)  *Not a big fan of seafood, especially raw seafood, so they all tasted okay to me! My judgement here probably doesn't apply to most people! But thankfully, Joe Fortes offers Happy Hour with $1 oysters from 4-6pm EVERYDAY! If you are a big fan of oysters, I strongly encourage you to try the variety of oysters they offer!


Then we shared the daily trio of fresh fish. ($41.95 4.5/5)
The portion looked minimal, but it was actually quite filling. Since each of our entree was so huge, we could't even finish the mashed potato. Each fish/prawn was cooked perfectly, and paired up well with their sauces. I strongly recommend this dish! but it's prepared with different seafood daily, so I hope their other fishes are consistent!


I ordered the 10oz Flat Iron Steak with chimichurri, truffle parmesan fries and market vegetables. ($36.95 3.5/5) 
The veggies were undercooked in a good way, they were seasoned very well, and the truffle fries were amazing. (Must Order!) The steak was not as good as I expected. Prepared Medium Rare, the steak itself was juicy and flavourful, but most pieces had gristles and tendons attached and they were extremely hard to chew on. I had a hard time chewing and swallowing. My jaw was hurting... 


* Sorry for the blurry photos! We were starving so I couldn't take steady pictures of other people's food. 



My dad had the Manhattan Steak (8 oz.) bacon horseradish mashed potatoes, market vegetables ($37.95 4/5)

I had a piece of this steak, it was more tender than mine. But once again, hard to chew on due to the gristles and stuff. 



My aunt ordered the Fish & Chips pacific cod, classic tartar sauce, coleslaw. ($19.95 4/5)
Decent cod with huge pieces. But Pajo still make the best fish&chips in Vancouver! 

*My mom had the Arctic char (Chef's creation of the day, Market Price) and I couldn't take a photo since she was sitting across from me! (round tables make it harder to take pictures of food across from you.)
According to her, the fish was too dry and she didn't really like it.

*Sister had the $38 special, didn't sample any of her food!

DESSERT TIME! 

Our server brought us lava cake with a cute candle to celebrate my parents' anniversary! Common thing to do for restaurants, but it never gets old! plus who doesn't like free desserts?


Love the combination of vanilla ice cream and chocolate lava cake, but the inside of the cake was not gooey at all, there was no lava!! (Even I can make lava cake with lava!)
*Joey make the best ones out of all the lava cakes I've had!
-Not worth it unless it's free!


Pavlova ($9.50 4.5/5) crisp meringue, fresh fruit, lemon curd, cream 
Really liked this one! Sweet and Sour Sensation! (Alliteration eh?) I don't think guys will like it? Cause you know it's a girly dessert when there are pink marshmallow, pink meringue and pink berries... but you never know!


Oh, Actually I lied earlier, I did have some of my sister's $38 dinner set. But only a bite of her tiramisu and I gave up. It was too bitter and stiff... the plating was nice but that's pretty much it..

Lastly! Lets talk about this Bailey infused coffee...


Damnit.. It's not listed on the online menu, but I believe it was around $7?
One word Bitter! Two words add sugar! Not bad, but it was too ordinary...and for $7 I could get better ones at corner cafes.


Overall Experience:

-The food could obviously improve, they don't match the price listed (at least the ones that we ordered).
-Saw a lot of people ordering sea food tower on ice and platters, so I'm guessing these are their better dishes. Seafood>Steak
-Was still a pleasant experience with lots of sweet surprises.
-The atmosphere was so nice that we just didn't want to leave.
-The pavlova was simply amazing and I got my girly sweets fix!
-Equal pros and cons! I will be back during happy hour to visit their patio!


Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. The food (especially all the seafood, wow) looks amazing, hope your parents had a great anniversary! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe Thank you!! Yeah The seafood definitely beats their steak! :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!! The food looks really tasty! Sounds like a perfect place for fine dining! I have been to various San Francisco restaurants but never visited this one. You know we are also going to our 7th wedding anniversary. I think this restaurant would be a good option for celebrating the day! Isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think food wise it's not the best option! (however the seafoods pretty good) . It's definitely a good restaurant to celebrate wedding anniversaries and birthdays though! Aweh! Congrats and have fun!! :)

      Delete