Sunday, March 8, 2015

Chambar Restaurant (2nd Visit/Brunch)

0

Remember that I went to Chambar during DOVF and got a $10 coupon to spend on their Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch? Well on the first weekend of spring break, I decided to destress with my bff L by going to a Sunday brunch! What's better than brunch dates with your girlfriends? Well a discounted one! But was their brunch as good as their dinner?



DOVF Visit 





If you have read my first article, you would know that I really like Chambr's interior designs and vintage decors, as well as its relaxing/lively fine dining vibe. The restaurant was just as gorgeous in the day as it was the night I went for dovf.
Tip 1*: ALWAYS make a reservation if you decide to dine at Chambar, it's legit busy 24/7, and you won't be able to get a seat right away.
Tip 2*:They serve the exact same brunch menu as Cafe Medina since CM used to be right next door, I have never been to CM so I don't know its dining vibe, however I do know that the lineup's insane. Check their website to see if reservation is available, if not, Chambar is the same substitute.




Liege Waffles ($3.15/ea+$1 for toppings 4/5)
with Pistachio Rose Water and Milk Chocolate Lavendar sauce 

The waffles were warm and chewy, however I have had better ones. (It would probably taste better if I had them earlier, I waited a bit for all my food to come so I could take a "group" photo.)
I only ordered their waffles so I could try their toppings! They have some of the most creative toppings/sauce I've had.

I had a bite of my friend's Pistachio Rose Water waffle. I could definitely taste the pistachio and the rose, but the white sauce tasted just like condense milk.

My choice of topping was the milk chocolate lavender, I really like the smell and the flavour of lavender, and it was nicely infused with milk chocolate. (Since Chambar features Belgian cuisine, I assume that the milk chocolate is also Belgian?) I still think that lavender would be a better pair with white sauce (for ex white chocolate and earl grey cream) than dark/chocolate sauces though.




Fricasse ($17 3.5/5)
Braised short ribs, balsamic cipollini onions, potatoes, watercress, fried eggs, applewood smoked cheddar. 

The braised ribs were tender and juicy when I took my first bite to it, but after a few more bites, I was sick by how salty the ribs and the sauce were. The ribs would have been perfect if they weren't over marinated in the sauce. The eggs were fried alright, but the yolk wasn't gooey enough and the eggs were flavourless while the ribs were overly salty. To balance the flavours, you could eat it with the bread or the egg, but for a $17 dish, every detail should have been on point by itself. It was still a some what tasty dish (that's why I wasn't so harsh on the rating + the ribs were actually very tender and enjoyable to chew), but judging from the restaurant status and its price, it lacked preciseness and the "wow" factor. 


Granola, fruits & Yogurt ($9 3.5/5)

I only sampled this dish because it wasn't mine, I thought it was mixed all right. An easy breakfast/snack you could make at home. Nothing special.  However, L thought it was terrible, and the ratio of the granola and fruits were unreasonable. She didn't even finish it. I don't understand why she disliked it so much, maybe she expected more from Chambar, but by being the cheapest meal off the menu, the portion and the flavour met my requirements. 



Overall Experience:

This brunch experience was definitely not as mind blowing as the dovf one. We would probably feel ripped off if we didn't have the $10 coupon. Nonetheless, I'm still attracted by the amazing vibe and space it has as well as the beautiful platings of the dishes. I would still come by someday to try one more brunch dish before I put it on my "black list" for brunch. 



Chambar Restaurant on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment